Current features of Nxt include:
- A true descendant of Bitcoin
- Unlike other cryptocurrencies, Nxt was written from scratch and is based on all-new code. Nxt improves upon many of the features of Bitcoin, removes some disadvantages (e.g. bloated blockchain) and resolves a big environmental issue. Time between blocks is one minute. This increases the rate of orphaned blocks but makes it more convenient for the users.
- Limited supply
- 1 billion Nxt coins were generated in the first block, and no new Nxt coins will be created. Coins are not "mined" like they are with other currencies.
- 100% Proof-of-Stake currency
- Nxt is the first 100% Proof-of-Stake (PoS) currency. Coins are earned solely by charging transaction fees. Unlike other currencies with Proof-of-Stake mining, however, Nxt's PoS mining does not cause monetary inflation.
- Transparent mining
- Nxt will implement a novel "transparent mining" system that will temporarily penalize accounts that do not participate in the proof-of-stake block verification process. This will encourage holders of non-trivial amounts of Nxt to actively participate in the network, instead of merely holding a balance in order to collect transmission fees. More information about this feature can be found in this Bitcointalk thread .
- Brain wallet
- All Nxt account information is stored on the network. Using a secret passphrase, an account can be accessed from any instance of the Nxt software.
- Alias System
- Nxt implements an alias system that translates alphaneumeric text into almost anything: Nxt account addresses, email addresses, URLs, phone numbers, SKU codes, and more. This not only gives Nxt the ability to function as a Decentralized DNS system, but adds additional possibilities for mapping short names to other entities.
- Fast transaction processing
- Nxt does not use "scripts" (or predicates), which simplifies and accelerates transaction processing. Advanced features (such as multisig ) will be created on top of the Nxt core as third-party services.
- Blocks are generated once per minute.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.